Future Media Group is a storytelling company that looks at the world through the lens of design. It includes the print magazines W, Surface and Watch Journal; digital platforms at www.wmagazine.com, surfacemag.com and watchjournal.com; a custom publishing division, Surface Studios; and a highly regarded event program including the Design Dialogues series, The Diner, and the Surface Travel Awards. Future Media is launching several new initiatives and we are looking for creative and motivated individuals to work with our growing team.
Interested students should expect a hands-on internship working directly with our editorial team.
- Participate in the content-creation process in producing the summer issues of Surface and Watch Journal magazines, as well as digital-first content to be deployed on brand websites and on social media channels.
- Write a variety of stories, ranging from daily posts to longer features.
- Collaborate with our Sales and Audience Development teams to produce client-facing branded content.
- Independently fact-check and research content in development.
- Generate ideas for new stories and features.
- Create a variety of content designed to enrich the reader’s experience and provide an insider’s perspective on the design world.
- Only currently enrolled students earning academic credit will be considered.
- Ability to write clearly, quickly, and with attention to detail.
- Passion for design in all forms, from architecture and interiors to product and fashion.
- Detail-oriented, intellectually curious, able to take direction, and eager to learn about writing for digital and print publications.
- Relevant work experience, course-work, or extracurricular activities in journalism, communications, marketing, or other related fields.
- If applicable, provide samples of your written work via PDF or links to any online pieces.
- Include any social media handles you use for Twitter, Snapchat, and Instagram.
- Practical experience with digital and print production workflow.
- Build your writing portfolio.
- Shadowing, mentoring, and training opportunities with experienced, knowledgeable industry professionals.
- Opportunity to participate in networking events and company meetings.
- Flexible schedule for students.